Poor eating habits and lack of proper nutrition can lead to serious health complications in older adults, making it of the utmost importance for family members to keep a lookout for signs that a senior parent or relative isn’t eating right. Trusted El Dorado Hills home care provider, Home Care Assistance, shares some of the warning signs indicating a senior may not be eating healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Depression – Decreasing physical ability, loneliness, grief, and health problems can contribute to depression in the elderly. If your loved one is depressed, he or she may not be eating enough food to meet their nutritional requirements. Some signs of depression include loss of interest in hobbies or pastimes, isolation and lack of purpose.
- Fatigue and Unexplained Weight Loss – Increased fatigue and weakness may be indicators of poor eating habits. If your loved one is constantly tired and losing weight without intending to, speak with them and their doctor about ways you can help them eat a nutritious diet and engage in regular, safe forms of exercise.
- Picky Eating – When eating with your loved one, pay attention to their eating habits. If your loved one seems uninterested in food or is primarily eating convenience or pre-packaged foods, they are likely not maintaining a healthy diet. If possible, help your loved one plan and prepare nutritious meals, or hire a part-time caregiver in El Dorado Hills to help with the grocery shopping and cook healthy meals.
- Complaints of Pain – If your loved one frequently complains of tooth or mouth pain, he or she may be skipping meals to avoid discomfort. Health and dental problems should be brought to the attention of doctors and dentists.
- Frequent Illness – If your loved constantly fighting cold and flu symptoms, your loved one’s diet may be lacking the vital nutrients needed to protect the immune system. Work with your loved one and their medical care team to address health problems and to formulate a healthy diet plan.
If you are unable to help your loved one prepare meals on a regular basis and are concerned about his or her ability to do so without help, reach out to Home Care Assistance of El Dorado Hills. Nutritious meal preparation is just one of the many services provided by our trained and compassionate hourly and live-in home caregivers. Call us today at 916-358-3801 for more information and find out if home care is a right fit for your loved one and your family. We’re here to help 24/7 and offer complimentary, no-obligation consultations.