As people age, they tend to live more sedentary lives. Changes in physical abilities often make it difficult to enjoy an active lifestyle and visit with friends and family. What can be done to restore a senior’s sense of purpose and help them to become more active? El Dorado Hills Home Care Assistance shares five habits that you can encourage your aging parent or loved one to do each morning to promote the mind, body and spirit.
- Think of the Positive – Recalling something good or beautiful that was seen, heard, or felt on the previous day can help to set the stage for a great day. This could be something as simple as a kind word, a beautiful bird or butterfly, or a picture-perfect outdoor scene.
- Set a Goal for the Day – Studies show that older adults who set goals enjoy deeper feelings of satisfaction and increased levels of self-confidence. No matter how small, setting a goal in the morning, and striving to achieve that goal can provide your loved one with a sense of purpose and more motivation to maintain his or her regular routine.
- Lightly Stretch – Moderate exercise, specifically stretching, is especially important to aging muscles. Slowly stretching the arms and legs before getting out of bed can loosen stiff muscles and aches and promote overall mobility. Stretches should be done slowly at first to reduce risk for injury.
- Eat a Hearty Breakfast – Breakfast provides the body with fuel for the day, so seniors should get in the habit of eating something upon waking up. If your loved one doesn’t have a large appetite in the morning, make his or her calories count by opting for whole wheat breads and English muffins or smoothies packed with vegetables and fruits.
- Reach Out to a Friend – Staying social is an important part of staying both mentally and physically healthy with age. Whether your loved one picks up the phone, uses social media or visits with a neighbor, reaching out to friends and continuing to build relationships in the golden years will have long-lasting positive effects.
Encouraging your aging parent or loved one to adopt even one of these habits can help to promote longevity and independence. If you feel he or she needs assistance with a morning routine, or could use a bit of daily companionship, reach out to Home Care Assistance of El Dorado Hills and learn more about our in-home care for seniors and older adults. We offer flexible live-in and hourly care in EL Dorado Hills and the surrounding communities, with no long-term contracts or commitments required.
Request more information or a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with a friendly and experienced Care Manager by calling 414-964-8000. We look forward to hearing from you.